English Teaching Assistantships FAQ
Grants For Students
Graduate Degree Program
Opportunity for US candidates to complete a master’s or PhD degree at a Mexican qualified academic institution. The Commission will fund up to 2 academic years for master’s and up to 3 academic years for a PhD. All candidates will receive an initial academic year of funding with the approval of subsequent financial support subject to academic performance and availability of funds.
Applications will be accepted in all fields of study except Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Dentistry.
NOTE: Most Mexican universities will not have their call for applications open before the close of the Fulbright grant. It is therefore not necessary to submit a letter of acceptance. However, candidates are responsible for submitting their university applications and all required documents according to the call for applications. Grantees will not receive the award until they have been admitted into a qualified program. Deferral of the grant to a different year is not allowed.
• Fluent Spanish
• Minimum degree: B.S./B.A.
• Candidates will be responsible for applying to a graduate degree program at a Mexican university or academic institution. They must present an admission letter prior to grant start date.
• Candidates studying, living or working in Mexico during the application process are not eligible to apply.
• Candidates who currently have a temporary or permanent resident card to Mexico are not eligible to apply.
• Double citizenship candidates can compete for a grant.
• Monthly maintenance.
• 50,000 pesos per academic year for tuition expenses.
• Book allowance.
• One round-trip international air ticket for the grantee.
• Fulbright medical benefit plan.
• Commission’s assistance with the visa paperwork.
• Additional dependent allowances.
Call for Applications
• Opens: March 1, 2020
• Closes: October 13, 2020 5:00 pm EST
• Universities often have an independent nomination process with internal deadlines. See your campus Fulbright Program Advisor.
• Candidates applying "at-large" must submit their application online through https://us.fulbrightonline.org. When applying, please select Study/Research as award type and select Graduate Degree for special award type.
• For further information please email: FBStudent.WHA@iie.org
• Shortlisted candidates will be invited to be interviewed in February 2021.
• Ten months per academic calendar
• According to university's academic calendar: August, September or January
The US-Mexico Commission for Educational & Cultural Exchange is the leading binational agency dedicated to promoting understanding between the two countries through educational exchange of citizens who have demonstrated excellence and leadership.
For additional details: www.comexus.org.mx
Berlín 18 Piso 2 Colonia Juárez
C.P 06600 Mexico DF