Grants For Scholars
Teaching English as a Foreign Language TEFL Program
Application deadline: August 1st, 2017
This award allows senior scholars to teach at the university level, engage in research or both, in the grantee's area of specialization. Grantees can also consult on curriculum, program and faculty development, and conduct seminars and workshops.
Grant activities include, but are not limited to:
• Teach undergraduate and graduate courses, with an emphasis on English language teacher training (refer to specializations below)
• Support the development of new and expanding programs and curricula, material development, community engagement projects in support of academic objectives, testing and evaluation and program design and implementation
• Conduct training programs and workshops for English language instructors
• Assist with student teacher advising, provide tutorials, supervise student practica and participate in seminars
• If applying for combined teaching and research, conduct research in area of specialization
• Applicants for combined teaching and research are required to indicate the planned ratio in the project statement
• Consult on the development of B.A. and M.A. programs at host institution
• Final activities and courses will be determined in consultation with host institution and Fulbright Commission
In addition to being a prestigious academic exchange program, the Fulbright Program is designed to expand and strengthen relationships between the people of the United States and citizens of other nations and to promote international understanding and cooperation. To support this mission, Fulbright Scholars will be asked to give public talks, mentor students, and otherwise engage with the host community, in addition to their primary research or teaching activities.
Eligibility & Requirements
• Masters degree or higher required. Strong candidates will generally have 5 years minimum TEFL experience, but candidates with less (but relative) experience will also be considered.
• This award is open to scholars at all levels including early career.
• Candidates living, working or studying in Mexico are not eligible to apply.
• Good proficiency in Spanish is required.
• Candidates must have U.S. citizenship. Dual citizens are welcome to apply.
• This is a "placed" program. Candidates should not seek a letter of affiliation, but be open to going where the need is greatest. Based upon the scholar's expertise and the needs of institutions, placements will be made with key institutions of higher education throughout Mexico in conjunction with the Ministry of Public Education (SEP).
• Projects must be three to nine months. Academic year grants are preferred. Nine months grants start in August or September. One semester grants must correspond to the host institution's academic calendar. All grants must be completed by June 30.
To apply for this award, please submit your application here:
For further information on the application please contact Hilary Hartley (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fulbright-Teaching English as a Foreign Language TEFL award #8451
• Base stipend contingent on professional rank
• Monthly maintenance based on Mexican host state
• Dependent allowance (up to three dependents)
• One time relocation allowance
• One round trip international airfare (U.S.-Mexico only)
• Reimbursable award for educational materials donated to host institution or research site
• Medical health benefits provided by the U.S. Department of State
The commission follows the recommendations of both the Mexican government and the U.S. Embassy Travel Warnings when placing U.S. Fulbright grantees in Mexico. This may mean that placement will be restricted in certain states or areas of Mexico depending upon these recommendations. See U.S. Department of State webpage for detailed information:
Application deadline: August 1st, 2017.
Final results are announced on March 2017.
Start dates of awards correspond with academic semesters: August or January.
The US-Mexico Commission for Educational & Cultural Exchange is the lead binational agency dedicated to promoting understanding between the two countries through educational exchange of citizens who have demonstrated excellence.
For additional details: www.comexus.org.mx
Berlín 18 Piso 2 Colonia Juárez
C.P 06600 Mexico DF